Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Biffs letter to his kids

      I am writing this letter to let my children know the kind of grandfather that they never got to know. He was a traveling salesman that loved his wife and boys and dedicated his life to his job to ensure they had everything that they needed. Having said this, he was gone a lot in our lives. Grandma did most disciplining and raising of Happy and myself over the years as we were growing up. Grandpa always tried to make it home for the weekends.  When we went to school, he always tried to make it to the school functions. Not that grandpa was perfect in any way, as I was to find out in the last part of my senior year.
      He taught Happy and myself to be self reliant and taught us how to do repairs on household items, automotive repairs and especially additions to the house and repairs to the house. All of this taught us to be responsible adolescents and leaders in the sports programs, if I would have graduated, I would have had a college degree.
        The one fault that ran not only through the family, and grandpa as well, was too much pride. We all used pride to hide behind when we failed, and this was the big reason why your grandfather is not here today. It was because of this fault that he felt it was better to take his own life, rather than let his family know he had failed in life and his job, his dementia also affected this decision.

2 comments: